Sunday 23 March 2014

Day 5 Installation

we just returned from our mid term brake, so we were not really tired but lazy. So was our Narendra who decided to show us three movies that day. They were 

1) In The Mood for Love (Wong Kar Wai)
2) A documentary on Matt Rothko
3) Pollock (Ed Harris)

The thing about these movies is that they did show the story of the artist but they also showed the 'artistic process' of the artist. The two documentaries especially not only showed their life stories but also explained their thought process. The movies also captured the development of their ideas from one style to another and so on.

Wong Kar Wai's film was indirectly informing us about a certain situation in south eastern Asia. This has been showed through a simple story of two couples. Complicated relationships develop between the couples and somehow this was connected to the situation in South Eastern Asia. There were metaphors in the way he took his shots and the way he directed his scenes. He established the relations of the countries through the people. The movie also showed the impact it has on a place afterwards. Very subtly done.  After watching the movies Narendra asked us to write about our own artistic processes.

So my artistic process obviously involves an idea or a thought around which an idea is created. This idea always comes to my mind as words and words alone. Words, to me, convey along with the word, a vibe that appropriately describes the word. The vibe is the reason we respond to another person, subjective to the vibe. A word can be spoken with different expressions hence different vibes. So when I get a word I try converting it into an image with one thing in mind. The image I create must embody the essence of the word. This is how I think. I have always thought in terms of words and never in terms of images. This way of proceeding helps me understand what I want. I never proceed until I'm sure of what I want. This is my artistic process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment